Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Rocking the boat

So hubby and I have always been very involved with our kid's school. And our son Travis has ADD and can be very much a pain the rump somtimes. We, meaning hubby, myself, and Travis have been going round and round with the art teacher at his school since his kindergarten year. Things finally boiled over this year and we requested that he either be withdrawn from Art all together or have a third party observer in the class with him at all times. Originally the Principal (who I love dearly) agreed to the third party observer; but since she is retiring this year and there are staffing shortages (thank you very much US Government!), they were not able to have someone in class with him consistently. Well lo and behold on the day no-one could go with him Travis gets a referral in Art. Imagine that!! Several other issues come up in Art, several phone calls are made to the school, several phone calls are ignored by the school. Hubby gets about all he can stand of being ignored and calls the School Board, threatens to sue the School Board and the art teacher for harrassment, rants, raves, and carries on....Principal is called by the School Board. We still hear nothing from Principal (who I still love dearly). Travis spends two days of Art class in the front office because no-one can go with him. We then receive a letter in the mail from Principal that Travis has been removed from Art class for the rest of the year and he can either use that time to do homework or we can check him out of school early. All well and good, but a simple phone call would have saved them a stamp!!! Then today, we get another letter from his regular teacher (whom I love dearly) attached to a referral. Travis has been a horse's patooty and gotten himself in a world of trouble. Again, all well and good, God bless the poor kid when hubby gets home; but a phone call or email would've sufficed instead of the hand written letter. And the icing on the cake....if we need to discuss any of this, we can schedule a conference with half the dang school!! Why am I angry??? Because for eight years, we have had "conferences" in the parent pick up loop, over dinner, at the soccer games, etc. Or we've exchanged nightly phone calls and emails to try to keep Travis in line. Now all of a sudden, since we rocked the boat with the Art thing, we're treated like strangers and made to feel like horrible parents who have never supported the teachers, administration, or faculty of the school. I want to know when standing up for your kid made you a horrible person who never held their kid responsible for anything???? I've never onced asked anyone to give either of my children special treatment because of our involvement with the school. I've never even expected it!! Oh holy moly am I fired up tonight!!!! I must say that I still love the teacher and principal dearly and will continue to support them 100%. Lord knows I couldn't do their job!! And for those who don't know me and may read this and think I'm one of "THOSE" parents who think there children can do no wrong....NOT! Travis may never see daylight again after today and has no idea I am so terribly upset with these people. I did make the mistake of making the feud with the art teacher a very public one in my house and saying things Travis never should have heard; all of which he has taken to school and repeated!! I'm certainly not parent of the year, but we do try!!
Alright, I feel better now! I'll stop ranting......

3 comments:

  1. Sorry you are having problems with the school. I think once you rock the boat they are not as hospitable. A friend of mine had some problems like this but it blew over in a couple weeks and then they were having there regular "Conferences" in parent pick up again:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loath the public school system!! H-A-T-E IT! We rocked the boat when DJ was in Kindergarten and the boat took on water until the day we pulled our children out!

    So happens when you put your children back into school in their higschool years? They have had more education at home and know more than is being taught and are bored and then boredom (in Bradley's case) leads into mischief and here we go again, rocking the boat because of a teacher that does not know how to deal with it, takes points off his grade for behavior and fails him even though he is passing with A's & B's. Yep, the boat is rockin' in Tennessee and after this year, we will yank his butt out again, it's not worth the crap! Beside's he get a better education at home, he even said it to the principle!

    Wow, I almost had to pull out the soap box for that one, good thing I am tired, or I would hop on up on it and rant some more!!

    Hang in there girl! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad and sad you're on this soap box with me! Why do people have to mess with our kids?? And why do mean people become teachers anyway? I know I could never teach, because I'd duct tape them all to their chairs!! lol We have really LOVED our school for the last 8 years. The art bag has been our only real problem. We threatened Travis with military school if he doesn't get his act together. You know I'd rather die than send him to one, but I figured it would scare the crap out of him. Well, off to bed for me. All of this drama has made me tired, or maybe it's just that I'm lazy!! haha

    ReplyDelete